Assets are physical resources often cameras, TVs, DVD players, or even trolleys. Small numbers of assets can be easily catalogued as physical resources in the normal Infiniti catalogue, but for larger numbers of electronic assets, e.g., 50+ iPads, Kindles, laptop computers, and tablet computers the optional eAsset Manager Module may offer better data capture and management options.
Note: A separate instance of Infiniti is recommended for managing extensive school-based, sponsored laptop computer leasing and lending programs which are managed external to the library, e.g., by IT Department.
Cataloguing Asset Resources in the eAsset Manager
If enabled, the Infiniti cataloguing page displays a panel listing all locally defined asset resources. Asset resources stored in your Infiniti catalogue are identified with attributes like name, model, barcode, serial number, and other asset specific data. The major distinction between assets catalogued as physical resources and assets catalogued as asset resources, is that the latter are catalogued via a dedicated asset template to capture and manage attributes specific these records.
Note: It is possible to catalogue an asset as a physical resource without using the dedicated asset template but in doing so you will have to adapt or map your normal catalogue fields to suit the distinct attributes that specifically apply to assets, and you may not be able to achieve an optimum asset management outcome.
Cataloguing Assets As eAssets vs Cataloguing Assets As Standard Physical Resources
Dedicated templates and asset identification attributes have been created for cataloguing and managing assets in Infiniti. These templates and attributes allow you to capture asset specific data such as serial numbers and asset tags and to manage access to assets in ways different from Physical Resources and Digital Resources.
Enabling eAsset Register
The eAsset Register must be enabled before it can be accessed. Enabling the Asset Register switches a number of functions not otherwise visible or available. Once enabled, you can configure the attributes for your Asset Register.
Assets are allocated three key attributes or tags attached to each easset resource at catalogue time:
- Media Type - found in the Asset record, Infiniti has a number of reserved media types and you can define additional local media types. Asset media types must be identified as physical. Common asset media types might be: Camera, iPad, Laptop Computer, and Kindle.
- Site - all easset units are stored in a Site and you can define local Sites. Every easset site is identified as physical.
- Section - all easset units are stored in a section and you can define local Sections. Sections play a role in determining loan periods for eassets. Sections related to computers can be almost any descriptor and might include descriptors like; Apple, Asus, Laptop, Lenovo.
Configure Asset Media Type
Go to: Config > Library > Media Type
- Click to define an asset media type or edit an existing Media type.
- Choose an Icon for your media type if needed.
- Enter the name of the media type, e.g., Camera, iPad.
- Set Digital Media Type as . Note: Assets can only be physical.
- Set Asset to.
Configure Asset Sites
- Enter the Name of the site where Assets reside, e.g., Computer room, Library.
- Set Purpose to General from the drop down list.
- Set Contains to Physical Resources. Note: Assets cannot contain digital resources.
Configure Asset Section
Go to: Config > Library > Sections
- If a new Section is required, click on, enter the Name of the section, e.g., Laptop.
The process of cataloguing asset resources consists of two basic steps:
- Create a descriptive asset record for the asset.
- Attach one or more units to the asset record.
Catalogue A Single Asset Resource
If you have a large number of electronic assets to catalogue, e.g., a bank of new laptop computers, you might like to consider importing the records from a CSV file.
Go to: Cataloguing > Asset Resources
- Choose the type of media you are going to catalogue from the Asset Resources panel to open the asset template.
- Populate the Asset description template as required. Note: To switch to a different media type, choose from the available asset Media Type in the drop down list.
- Optionally upload cover art to display an image for this record.
- Save the record.
- Click the Units tab.
- Choose .
- Provide details for:
- Site - which site or library will this resource be stored in.
- Status - the resources' status. Note: This will usually be On Shelf.
- Budget Dept - budget used to purchase this resource if applicable.
- Section - which section should this asset be allocated to.
- Serial Number - manufacturer's identifier for the unit.
- Asset Tag - optional second identifier for the unit.
- Check Remember for me if you want Infiniti to remember editable attributes 1-3 in point 7 for subsequent asset resources you catalogue; uncheck the box when you wish to alter these attributes.
- Provide Invoice Number, Supplier, Cost, and Replacement Cost. Note: If you choose a Supplier, you must check the invoice number box and record an invoice number or some information.
- Record the Barcode for the unit. Note: If you are storing the Serial Number and Asset Tag for each unit you should assign only one barcode to avoid replicating and assigning these values to each individual unit.
- Check Add to Print Label Queue if you want to print barcode labels for each unit.
Note: Often the values set for Site, Status, and Budget Dept are the same for each batch of asset records catalogued. Check Remember for Me if you would like to use the values displayed for the current record on future records. You can configure Infiniti to remember your settings as required.
Tip: Catalogue batches of assets with similar values or attributes and check Remember for Me when you swap between batches.
Edit A Catalogued Asset Resource
Go to: Cataloguing
- Search for the resource using name or barcode.
- Click to retrieve the asset to the cataloguing work bench.
- Edit the Asset record and Units as required.
Search for an Asset Tag or Serial number
Go to: Cataloguing
- Search for the resource using name, barcode, serial number, Asset tag.
- Click the cover to see the unit details or
- Click to open the Asset cataloguing record
- Click Units tab to edit the Units as required.